How do you prepare a perfect pot of tea?
As you will see when you are browsing through Sloane Tea Company’s teas, different leaves require different treatment. Some require boiling water, some less than boiling water, and all need to be steeped for a different length of time. However, when preparing a traditional black tea, the process is as such:
1. Warm the teapot with hot water.
2. Fill the kettle with freshly drawn water and bring it to a boil. Water that has been double-boiled will affect the taste of the tea.
3. Measure one rounded teaspoon of tea into the teapot for each person, and one extra spoonful of tealeaves “for the pot”.
4. Remove the kettle as soon as it boils and allow it to come off the boil for a minute or two.
5. Pour the not-quite-boiling water onto the leaves and leave to steep fo 4-5 minutes.
6. Serve in fine bone china cups as the delicacy of the cup does seem to enhace the delicacy of the tea within.
7. Add a splash of milk or a slice of lemon to taste.
If you are preparing tea in a cup or pot using Sloane Sachets, the same rule applies- one teaspoon of tea per person, use water just off the boil and steep for 3-5 minutes.